Frequently Asked Questions

San Cristóbal Travel Agency takes you along the most important heritage sites of Cuba´s great cities.

The visitor must have an up to date passport or a travel document issued to their name, alongside the required visa or tourist card. Exceptions are in order for those countries with which Cuba upholds visa-free agreements. The tourist cards can be petitioned at the respective Cuban consular office as well as in the offices of travel agencies and airline companies. The tourist cards come in two kinds: for individual tourists or for tourists traveling in groups

One way to pay in Cuba is through prepaid MLC cards. These are stored-value cards that accept the currencies and exchange rates that CADECA, the country´s official and only authorized currency exchange establishment, trades in: CAD, GBP, JPY, CHF, EUR and MXN. You can obtain these items in the value order of 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 in CADECA exchange houses, airports, hotels or seaports.
VISA and MASTERCARD are also accepted so long as the card hasn´t been issued by any U.S. financial institution or legal person, nor branches or representations of said entities in other countries.

The traveler can attend any outlets belonging to the network of Centers for Touristic Information (INFOTUR) located all along the country in its main cities, near points of interest and airports and other key touristic transport hubs.

In these facilities you can request and will find:

- Useful information on Cuba to better suit your needs.  

- Free material in print and digital format that will render you to find your way and choose the best attractions for your enjoyment.

- Sales on maps, themed guides, books, postcards, souvenirs, among other gadgets and services.  

Cuba´s climate is classified as tropical. It exhibits high humidity levels and high temperatures all year round, although some special conditions are attributed to certain coastal areas and several mountainous regions and valleys. The East is statistically hotter than the West.
There are two main seasons: the dry and slightly cooler period from November to April, and the rainy period from May to October. 

Due to Cuba´s high temperatures throughout most of the year, light clothing with fresh fabric is recommended. During the cooler months, on the occasion of a cold front, light jackets and coats will suffice. The main idea is to pack light when on the road or walking tours so as to reduce the possibility of fatigue, to pack water bottles and sunscreen and not carry on you many jewelry pieces as these could get lost during an outdoor or social activity.

To travel to Cuba, the visitor must plan their trip with one of the touristic programs requested with an international agency that has signed agreements with the nation´s Ministry of Tourism. Afterwards a visa request by means of that agency should be set in motion. The visitor may also contact Cuban official delegations in their country of residence.

By approaching an employee of the hotel or an official touristic Cuban institution the traveler can request the services of the country´s own entities that specialize in travel assistance and insurance sales, which are in order with the World Tourism Organization´s guidelines and have signed up to date agreements with most of the international insurance dealers and the local insurance outlets.

Cuba´s national currency is the Cuban Peso (CUP), circulating in bills for the value of 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 y 1000 pesos, and coins for the value of 1 and 3 pesos and 1, 2, 5 and 20 cents. If you wish to change your currency for pesos, it´s advisable that you head to a CADECA center, the country´s official and only authorized currecny exchange establishment, and ask to see the rate at which your currency is being traded. You can find out about the currencies supported by CADECA and where you can find these facilities in the above section How can I pay in Cuba?   

Do I need any kind of medical insurance when traveling to Cuba?
Since May 1st, 2010 Cuban authorities demand that the visitor possess travel insurance with paid medical expenses in order to enter the country. This type of insurance can be acquired in the country of origin, prior the trip, or upon arrival, at the country´s respective access point.


Is it possible to freely take pictures and shoot videos in Cuba?

Everyone may take pictures and shoot videos as they wish except in restricted and signaled areas such as military facilities. Museums and some places of interest have specific regulations. Some people may express their desire to not be photographed or filmed and this could be cause for liability. For pictures in color, the best time of day is between 0900 and 1130 hours, and after 1600 hours.